Value creation as a basis
As a public company, we believe it is important for us to report on the basis of the added value we contribute to society. The value creation model is therefore at the heart of our annual report. The key principles are transparency, the dialogue with our stakeholders and the impact and added value of our activities in the short and long term.
Based on our strategic spearheads, we are working together to create an environment filled with new energy. Our value creation model demonstrates how we do so. Guided by the six forms of value, or ‘capitals’ of the International Integrated Reporting Council (IIRC), we describe the results to which our activities lead and the value we thereby create for our stakeholders.
- Input: these are the building blocks that we need for our work. From financing to gas pipes and from insight into our grids to our employees.
- Our organisation model: our strategic pillars and material topics show how we utilise these building blocks to achieve our mission.
- Output: the results of our work include, for example, CO2 reduction achieved, supply reliability and employee satisfaction.
- Impact: our impact comprises the value we add (both positive and negative) for our stakeholders and in the form of contributions to the global goals (the Sustainable Development Goals of the United Nations).
We are making our value creation increasingly measurable. That aids us both in identifying dilemmas and in gearing our operations management towards better solutions. For more information about impact measurement and our results for the past year, see 'Measuring impact'.
In the first part of the annual report, we discuss our position in the energy supply chain, our activities, our strategy and developments in society and the energy market. In the second part, we disclose our results on our material topics by reference to our three strategic spearheads:
- Improved grid management
- Facilitating the energy transition
- Sustainable business operations
This is followed by the sections: Governance, Report of the Supervisory Board, Financial Statements and Other information and supplementary information.